Sunday, January 8, 2012
First blog DIY - Guest room wallpaper
So when I moved into this loft, one of the most aesthetically-challeneged rooms was this guest room. The walls are at an odd angle, the 'headboard wall' is about 20 ft fall (not an exaggeration), and the room is rather small. A small guest room doesn't bother me all that much... not like guests really need a full dresser or chest to house weeks worth of clothes or anything. The oddly angled exterior walls do add a bit of interest and dimension to what would otherwise be a very boxy shape. But that 20 ft white wall. Gah, did that keep me up at night (I want to act like that is a joke, but sadly, I did lie awake at night - on pinterest, mostly - trying to figure out the best way to make that look better.) At first, I thought I would just compensate with a tall upholstered headboard in an interesting color or print fabric. Insert my fear of commitment pertaining to furniture and that idea got tossed pretty quickly. I knew I would tire quickly of whatever color/fabric choice I made and didn't want to re-do the room 80 times. So I researched and studied and browsed and merged several bits of inspiration to piece together this DIY. I am so, so pleased with the way this turned out.
Side note: this room is FAR from finished. Please ignore the tragic lamps, side tables, and poor lighting.
First, I saw this post on another blog (actually I saw the pic on pinterest first that led me to the blog - which I LOVE, btw), and read all about the Sherwin Williams removable wallpaper that they used in their apartment. I absolutely LOVED this pattern. After deciding to go with the wallpaper method, I looked through so many wallpaper books... and always went back to this as my favorite. Obviously, wallpapering a 20 ft tall wall was out of the question (for me, at least) - but I wanted to create interest behind the neutral oatmeal-colored linen headboard. I decided that measuring and wallpapering a section of the wall behind the headboard and framing it with some black painted trim was the best idea.
The only thing done at this point was that the exterior walls had been painted a dark blue/navy color. It doesn't really show that well in these photos, but if anyone is interested in knowing the exact color just shoot me an e-mail. Unmade bed and all, sigh (sorry Mom).
After measuring, we drew with a pencil on the wall where the molding would go. Then we put the wallpaper up. It took 5 cut strips of this for us to do this much of the wall. This part took less than an hour.
Then I painted the trim/molding strips that were cut to the size that we needed. I used a Behr semi-gloss primer and paint in one. Yes, that is parchment paper underneath the painted boards.
Once the paint dried on the trim, we put it up around the border of the wallpaper and trimmed any excess paper. I also made the bed. You're welcome.