My solution for this is twofold: 1) Start with a fab, comfortable outfit that can easily transition from work to happy hour:
Kate Spade necklace / Reed Krakoff tote / Valentino pumps / Chanel sheer gloss
Cocktails: Morgan Ashleigh necklace / Belle Noel ring / BCBG clutch / Stella McCartney pumps / Nars lipcolor
... and 2) prep your work handbag/tote/desk drawer with an arsenal of key beauty products to help refresh yourself AND your appearance before your night begins.
1) Colgate WISP spearmint mini-toothbrushes. Need I explain?
2) Bobbi Brown blotting papers. Use these to blot any oily spots or residue from your face. Psst... in a pinch, toilet seat liners work well, too ;)
3) Caudalie Beauty Elixir. This revitalizing mist feels amazingly refreshing on your face at the end of the day. Radiance in a bottle.
4) Kai Body Glow. This body splash/dry oil spray smells amazingly fresh and clean and is great for moisturizing tired skin after work.
5) Ojon Full Detox rub-out dry cleansing spray. Spritz a bit of this at the roots, flip hair over, shake out excess, flip back over and voila! It's like you just fixed your hair (and it smells great, too).
6) YSL Touche Eclat. If you have been living under a rock and haven't tried this yet, please do so immediately. YSL has managed to formulate and package a good night's sleep in a handy little click-pen. Genius.
7) Benefit Dandelion. This universally-flattering color is perfect to freshen up tired makeup at the end of the day. It isn't a shade that I typically use in my morning makeup regimen, but when I plan to wear a bold lip color (such as the Nars one above), this is a great product to liven your cheeks just a bit.
8) Lancome Hypnose Drama. I use this religiously -morning and night - an extra coat is crucial to make lashes pop for an after-work outing.